Wednesday, December 28, 2011

I Just Come Back Running ! - Part 2 : Oh Bali I love you so!

December 2011

Sunday 11th.

Day 2.


                     




Up early this pagi and after some yoga moves on the balcony I  was lacing up my runners and by 6am very keen to check out the beach and let Bali know I was back (woohoooo) as well as anyone else who happened to cross my path, ( I was armed with plenty of "Pagi's" and not afraid to use them ).

Rob was blearily scratching his head and trying to absorb these happenings.
More than a bit of a switch as he's a 4 o'clock riser at home and I'm the one that groans and pulls a pillow over my head whilst mumbling something you're probably better off not deciphering.
Whilst jogging on the spot I asked if he was joining me and after toing and froing over watching a movie or walking he decided to join me.

                                                  The top of a wall along the lane to the beach.


                 How we identified our lane at night from the beach. The big grey wall with a big, big kick arse spot light.


Rob chose to stroll while I strode out and chose a landmark where I would turn around and walk back to him... just so there was some togetherness and conversation :0) By the time I got back to him I was generally bubbling over with things I wanted to point out and talk about.

                                                 One of the first landmarks ..the bungee tower.


The surf life saving office. I wish , I wish , I wish... more people back home would realise that It's not necessary to cut down / poison a tree just because it might be hindering their view.
Some artful pruning has been done for the sake of the tree and the people involved..synergy,.love it!


                                                               He caught a couple of big ones.


                                                                                            What a cutie!


We made it back in time for a swim before the staff were due to arrive and cook us a complimentary breakfast....My god , what a life!

Secretly, I'm thinking this trip came about from Rob's hankering for more Bali (after spending just 4 days there in Oct. compared to my 12 ).
That's alright! Best Xmas present either one of us has every gotten ..for sure.

We had met 'Nengeh' briefly on arrival, though the meet and greet was done by another staff member ....but he and his smile were definitely there (waiting in the wings).

Maybe it was because I was missing my youngest, who chose not to come along this trip but Nengeh.... sheesh , I love ya , I love Ya!
It took a real effort for me not wrap the young smiley guy into a big squeezing bear hug every morning when I saw him. I resisted though ....I have a feeling it would of scared the bejeezus out of him if I had.

It endeared him to me even more when after 2 days I embarrassingly still couldn't manage to pronounce his name correctly (I need practice rolling my r's)  and he told me to just call him Su .......a boy named Su, just loved it (R.I.P Mr. Cash ).

So I contented myself with just chatting with him (no hugs) and worked on getting him to smile and laugh. Whenever there was a bit of a communication breakdown I used the translate app. on my iphone, what an innovation.
Maaf jika kita terlalu berantakan, translates to - sorry if we are too messy (I knew we weren't but it was all about getting one of those smiles).....Shameless.


The use of a laptop was available on request at the Villa but it took way too long to mess around with it and it's silly keyboard and we settled on just using our iphone to keep updated on things when we felt the need (which wasn't often).
The wifi was pretty good speed wise and I did manage to let the TA forum in on our whereabouts before I gave up on the laptop in frustration.

A visit to 'de' (one of my favorite jewelry stores) was on the agenda.
I had purchased a bracelet for a friend on my last trip, who had admired a couple I had bought from there.
Unfortunately it had dropped off her wrist a few times the one and only time she had worn it. It had clasp issues, it had'nt been cheap either so I was glad we were heading back so soon to remedy it.
I figured if I gave 'de' a week to fix, replace or exchange it, all would be good.





On previous visits to the store I had struck 2 different shop assistants. One was a smiling , switched on sweetheart  who I recognised as having a kindred, good service, shop assistant spirit.

The other was a glum, non-smiling little piece that I always seemed to interrupt whilst she was doing something far more important (other than her job) such as chatting with her friends in the neighboring shop or texting.
I was pinning my hopes on the smiley one being there....Nuup and Bugga! There was miss Nego chucking her half eaten ice cream down as she came out of the back room with a half growling look of distain on her face. The only hints of sweetness about her countenance were the smears of Magnum caught in the corners of her mouth.

I had a feeling this wasn't going to go well already and she didn't even know at this point of my 'return'.
No exchange, No refund and when I suggested a possible solution to altering the clasp she just shook her stony little face.

 I had kept my cool (mostly) during this exchange ( ommm I am in a pink bubble of love and lightness, ommmm I will not grab her by the collar and shake her ....ommmmmm )
At the point where my voice maybe was becoming a little bit high pitched  Rob had slowly and methodically tapped me on the forearm (it worked wonders) and then a smiling young man had emerged from the back room and suggested they send the bracelet back to the factory in Denpasar and they would give us a call on Tuesday (I wasn't going to hold my breath).

Geez Louise you should of seen her face when I requested a receipt to show I had handed it over. Grrrrrr

Steam was almost escaping out of my ears when we left the shop and we walked it off  and bought some DVD's to watch.
A swim, some duty free and a couple of good movies sounded good.
On the way back, the sign to Delicious Onion jumped out at us and we swung in there for some nibbles.

Fan..bloody..tastic! Everything I had read about the food here was true and Rob has now declared it as his current Bali favourite!


By the time the food and the second Pineapple Margherita had arrived  I had stopped ranting and "Little Miss 'de' Nasty" was just a bad memory. We tucked into some wonderful tapas.

                                                        The roast pork belly was a stand out.


Rob is a big fan of the cabbage rolls and the popcorn chicken was one of my favorites. And those Margheritas..Oh my! It only makes them all the more sweeter that you buy 2 and get 1 free.

                                              A fantastic mirror store is just a couple of doors up.


We wandered off home and sank into that deep relax mode we seem to find only in Bali...it's definitely something in the heavy air ....bobbing about in the pool with a couple of top notch , duty freeee's we watched a large lizard take down a pretty big praying mantis ...it was quite a battle too.




Villa Teratai is a comfortable villa in a very convenient location it's outside area is one of the smallest we have come across but it was enough for us...we don't need to do laps in the pool , just cool off.

                                                 For obvious reasons we dubbed it "F Troop"

After a movie we wandered along Jl Sari Dewi and up Jl Laksmana in search of a recharge for my Simpati card and a meal.
I ask you where else can you go on holiday , eat at fantastic restaurants for a fraction of the price and still not gain any weight!
Oh Bali I Love You So ...I Need You Now....I Want You Back........,

xxMalam



No comments:

Post a Comment